Monday, August 31, 2009

The Russians are coming..

Everyone has heard the term, "The Russians are coming.." Well, I survived the Russian attack. It turns out that my account password on the server was hacked and they were able to spread a virus to a select few of my website home pages.

It was an easy enough thing to fix, but the problem is that my FTP server software was too vulnerable. The fix involved replacing the old software with a better software, and of course, changing the password for the affected account.

I often wonder why something like this would happen. Why someone would take the time to try to spread a virus. What I have learned is the same thing that Microsoft learns on a daily basis: do your best to ensure that everything is rock solid, because there are people out there looking for a vulnerable server to atatck, just for the fun of it.

No comments: